Joel Stitzel, Ph.D.
Wake Forest University Health Sciences Medical Center Blvd. Winston-Salem, NC 27157-1022
Phone: (336) 716-5597
- B.S., Engineering Science and Mechanics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- M.S., Biomedical Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical College of Virginia
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS:
- Crash Injury Research and Engineering Network
- Biomechanics of trauma
- Human body finite element modeling
- Autmotive safety
- Sports and military biomechanics
Video of impact to carotid artery [preliminary model, testing geometry, and element size]:
- Wide angle view, WMV format (105KB)
- Close view, WMV format (108KB)
- Hoth JJ, Stitzel JD, Gayzik FS, Brownlee NA, Miller PR, Yoza BK, McCall CE, Meredith JW, Payne RM. The pathogenesis of pulmonary contusion: an open chest model in the rat. J Trauma. 2006 Jul;61(1):32-44; discussion 44-5.
- Kennedy EA, Ng TP, McNally C, Stitzel JD, Duma SM. Risk functions for human and porcine eye rupture based on projectile characteristics of blunt objects. Stapp Car Crash J. 2006 Nov;50:651-71.
- Stitzel J, Cormier J, Barretta J, Kennedy E, Smith E, Rath A, Duma S. (2003) "Defining Regional Variation in the Material Properties of Human Rib Cortical Bone and its Effect on Fracture Prediction," Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol. 47
- Moorcroft D, Duma S, Stitzel J, Duma G. (2003) "Computational Modeling of the Pregnant Occupant: Predicting the Risk of Injury in Automobile Crashes," American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Accepted for publication).
- Stitzel J, Duma S, Herring I, Cormier J. (2002) "A Nonlinear Finite Element Model of the Eye with Experimental Validation for the Prediction of Globe Rupture," Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol. 46, pp. 81-102
- Stitzel J, Pawlowski K, Wnek G, Simpson D, Bowlin G. (2001) "Arterial Smooth Muscle Cell Proliferation on a Novel Biomimicking, Biodegradable Vascular Graft Scaffold." Journal of Biomaterials Applications, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 22-33