Costin D. Untaroiu, Ph.D.
2280 Kraft Drive VCOM II Building Blacksburg, Virginia 24060
Phone: (540) 231-8997
- Ph.D., University of Virginia, Mechanical Engineering - Impact Biomechanics, 2005
- Ph.D., "Politehnica" University, Bucharest, Mechanical Engineering - Rotordynamics, 1999
- B.S. /M.S., University of Bucharest, Applied Mathematics, 1996
- B.S. /M.S., "Politehnica" University, Bucharest, Mechanical Engineering, 1990
- Injury & Impact Biomechanics
- Automobile safety design (passive and active restraint systems)
- Computational Biomechanics and Crashworthiness simulations
- Finite Element Optimization/Probabilistic Design
- Mechanical Vibrations, Rotordynamics and Control
- Lu, Y-C, Untaroiu C.D. (2013) Statistical shape analysis of clavicular cortical bone with applications in development of percentile models, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine (in press)
- Untaroiu, C.D., Lu Y-C, (2013) Material characterization of liver parenchyma using specimen-specific finite element models and optimization techniques, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials (in press).
- Untaroiu C.D., Shin, J., Lu, Y-C, (2013) Assessment of a Dummy Model in Crash Simulations using Rating Methods, International Journal of Automotive Technology, 14(3): 395-405.
- Lu, Y-C, Untaroiu C.D. (2013) “Statistical Investigation of the Change in Indentation-based Material Properties of Porcine Abdominal Organs due to Tissue Storage Methods”, Journal of Engineering in Medicine, Proc IMechE- Part H, 227(3):293-301.
- Untaroiu, C.D. Yue, N., Shin, J. (2013) “A Finite Element Model of the Lower Limb for Simulating Automotive Impacts”, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 41(3): 513-526.
- Untaroiu, C.D. Adam, T, (2013) “Performance- based Classification of Occupant Posture to Reduce the Risk of Injury in a Collision”, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 14(2): 565-573.
- Untaroiu A., Untaroiu C.D., Wood H.G., Allaire P.E. (2013) “Numerical Modeling of Fluid-Induced Rotordynamic Forces in Seals with Large Aspect Ratios”, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power/ASME Transactions, 135(1), 012501.
- Untaroiu A., Hayrapetian V., Untaroiu C.D., Allaire P.E., Wood H.G., Schiavello B., McGuire J. (2013) On the Dynamic Properties of Pump Liquid Seals, Journal of Fluids Engineering /ASME Transactions, 135(5) 051104.
- Shin, J., Yue, N., Untaroiu, C.D. (2012) “A Finite Element Model of the Foot and Ankle for Automotive Impact Applications, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 40(12): 2519-2531.
- Lu Y.C., Untaroiu C.D. (2012) “A Bootstrap Approach for Lower Injury Levels of the Risk Curves.” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 106(3): 274-286.
- Sanchez-Molina, D., Velazquez-Ameijide, J., C. Arregui-Dalmases J. R. Crandall, C.D. Untaroiu (2012), “Minimization of analytical injury metrics for head impact injuries”, Traffic Injury Prevention, 13(2): 278-285. Untaroiu, C.D., Bose, D., Lu, Y-C, Riley P., Lessley D., Sochor M. (2012) “Effect of seat belt pretensioners on human abdomen and thorax: biomechanical response and risk of injuries”, Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, 72(5):1304-1315.