Stefan M. Duma, Ph.D.
Harry C. Wyatt Professor and Head
VT-WFU School of Biomedical Engineering and Sciences
313 ICTAS Building
Stanger Street (MC 0298)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
- B.S., University of Tennessee, Mechanical Engineering, 1995
- M.S., University of Cincinnati, Industrial Engineering, 1996
- Ph.D., University of Virginia, Mechanical Engineering, 2000
- Duma SM, Rowson S, Cobb B, MacAlister A, Young T, and Daniel R, Effectiveness of helmets in the reduction of sports-related concussions in youth, Institute of Medicine, Commissioned paper by the Committee on Sports-Related Concussion in Youth, May 2013.
- Rowson S and Duma SM, Brain injury prediction: assessing the combined probability of concussion using linear and rotational head acceleration, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 41(5), pp. 873-82, 2013.
- Beckwith JG, Greenwald RM, Chu JJ, Crisco JJ, Rowson S, Duma SM, Broglio SP, McAllister TW, Guskiewicz KM, Mihalik JP, Anderson S, Schnebel B, Brolinson PG, Lund B, and Collins MW, Head impact exposure sustained by football players on days of diagnosed concussion, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 45(4), pp. 737-46, 2013.
- Beckwith JG, Greenwald RM, Chu JJ, Crisco JJ, Rowson S, Duma SM, Broglio SP, McAllister TW, Guskiewicz KM, Mihalik JP, Anderson S, Schnebel B, Brolinson PG, Lund B, and Collins MW, Timing of concussion diagnosis is related to head impact exposure prior to injury, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 45(4), pp. 747-54, 2013.
- Rowson S and Duma SM, The temperature inside football helmets during head impact: a five year study of collegiate football games, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part P: Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, vol. 227(1), pp. 12-9, 2013.
- Duhaime AC, Beckwith JG, Maerlender AC, McAllister TW, Crisco JJ, Duma SM, Brolinson PG, Rowson S, Flashman LA, Chu JJ, and Greenwald RM, Spectrum of acute clinical characteristics of diagnosed concussions in college athletes wearing instrumented helmets, Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 117(6), pp. 1092-9, 2012.
- Daniel RW, Rowson S, and Duma SM, Head impact exposure in youth football, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 40(4), pp. 976-981, 2012.
- McAllister TW, Flashman LA, Maerlender A, Greenwald RM, Beckwith JG, Tosteson TD, Crisco JJ, Brolinson PG, Duma SM, Duhaime AC, Grove MR, Turco JH, Cognitive effects of one season of head impacts n a cohort of collegiate contact sport athletes. Neurology 2012. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0b013e3182582fe7
- Funk JR, Rowson S, Daniel RW, and Duma SM. Validation of Concussion Risk Curves for Collegiate Football Players Derived from HITS Data. Annals of Biomedical Engineering vol. 40(1), pp. 79-89, 2012.
- Crisco JJ, Wilcox BJ, Machan JT, McAllister TW, Duhaime A-C, Duma SM, Rowson S, Beckwith JG, Chu JJ, Greenwald RM. Magnitude of head impact exposures in individual collegiate football players. J Appl Biomech. 28(2):174-183, 2012.
- Crisco JJ, Wilcox BJ, Beckwith JG, Chu JJ, Duhaime AC, Rowson S, Duma SM, Maerlender AC, McAllister TW, and Greenwald RM. Head Impact Exposure in Collegiate Football Players. Journal of Biomechanics. vol. 44(15), pp. 2673-2678, 2011.
- Beyer JA, Rowson S, and Duma SM. Concussions Experienced by Major League Baseball Catchers and Umpires: Field Data and Experimental Baseball Impacts. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. vol. 40(1), pp. 150-159, 2012.
- Rowson S, Duma SM, Beckwith JG, Chu JJ, Greenwald RM, Crisco JJ, Brolinson PG, Duhaime AC, McAllister TW, and Maerlender AC. Rotational Head Kinematics in Football Impacts: An Injury Risk Function for Concussion. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. vol. 40(1), pp. 1-13, 2012.
- Rowson S, Duma SM, Development of the STAR evaluation system for football helmets: integrating player head impact exposure and risk of concussion. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 39(8):2130-2140, 2011.
- Rowson S, Beckwith JG, Chu JJ, Leonard DS, Greenwald RM, Duma SM, A six degree of freedom head acceleration measurement device for use in football. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 27(1):8-14, 2011.
- Duma SM, Rowson S, Past, present, and future of head injury research. Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews. 39(1):2-3, 2011.
- Shain K, Madigan ML, Rowson S, Bisplinghoff J, Duma SM, Analysis of the ability of catcher's masks to attenuate head accelerations on impact with a baseball. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 20(6):422-427, 2010.
- Rowson S, Brolinson PG, Goforth M, Dietter D, and Duma SM, Linear and angular head accelerations measurements in collegiate football, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 131(6) pp. 061016, 2009.
- Rowson S, McNeely DE, Brolinson PG, and Duma SM, Biomechanical analysis of football neck collars. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. 18(4):316-321, 2008.
- Brolinson P, Manoogian S, McNeely D, Goforth M, Greenwald R, Duma SM, Analysis of Linear Head Accelerations from Collegiate Football Impacts, Current Sports Medicine Reports 5: 23-28, 2006.
- Manoogian SJ, McNeely DE, Duma SM, Brolinson PG, and Greenwald RM, Head Acceleration is Less than 10 Percent of Helmet Acceleration in Football Impacts. Biomed Sci Instrum. 42:383-388, 2006.
- Duma SM, Manoogian S, Bussone W, Brolinson G, Goforth M, Donnenwerth J, Greenwald R, Chu J, Crisco T, Analysis of Real-Time Head Accelerations in Collegiate Football Players, Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine Vol. 15 (1) pp. 3-8, 2005.